I remember when I moved to the U.S. I had a hard time finding a good yogurt. All the yogurts in my grocery store were packed with sugar and carrageenan. Did you know that yogurt could contain as much sugar as cookies or sodas?
If you can tolerate dairy products like yogurt, here are some criteria to think about:
- You don’t want to have artificial hormones (rBGH) in the yogurt so buy organic or if it says “No rBGH.”
- Always choose the whole milk version
- No added sugar, artificial sweeteners, honey, or syrups.
- No carrageenan
You may be asking yourself, which brands are the best? Check out this ranked list of yogurt brands. If you have difficulty finding good brands, you can always ask your store if they can stock the brand you would like to have.
- If you want you can flavor the yogurt with pure vanilla powder or cinnamon.
- Add berries like blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries if you can tolerate them (not if you have diabetes or high blood pressure).
- Top your yogurt with a mix of nuts and seeds like almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and coconut flakes. Buy them whole and chop them yourself if you want, to avoid mold spores. Make sure you keep them in the refrigerator in an airtight glass container.
Spread the word and save lives!